Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hooray For Ebay!

So our biggest purchase for the house is windows...

As you know there was fire & the firemen had to break most of them to get the house ventilated... So we needed to replace them ALL. We luckily didnt have to find exact fit replacement windows, especially since we plan on changing the amount of windows and the outside of the house this summer.

That led us to ebay... Pat loves Ebay. I really have never ever bothered with it. But he found us 20 windows range from 6'6 in height to regular size, all from one seller, all only 1 year old. Pretty windows with the lattice in them... They are silver line not andersen but that is ok for now.

See we were concerned with getting the energy efficent tax credit & we might still but with the money we saved on the windows its ok if we dont get it... We budgeted for $3,000 for windows but thanks to ebay we got all the windows, some even brand new in the package for $680.00...

Hooray for Ebay!

2 comments:

Wenderina said...

Wow - that's great. I have an extra window and I think a door in my garage (from previous owner). It will have to wait until Spring to dig it out, but they are yours if you want to come get them in Suffern. (Maybe they'll get to you at the same time as the plate racks!)...no I haven't forgotten, well I have, but not totally.

Gale said...

Just found your blog and am excited for your adventure. My husband and I bought a fixer upper over 35 years ago and we are still in the same house. Like you we looked at the "bones" of the house. It is a 100 year old "four square" that, at the time of purchase, had holes in the plaster down to the lathing, 10 layers of wall paper and every bit of wood painted "interesting" colors. Although I don't let my husband near my power tools (he cut the cord of the circular saw with the circular saw as he was using it), he could strip paper and paint like a pro. Luckily, my dad had his girls do tons of home remodeling (roofing/carpentry/etc) with him. Also like you, I am a yardsale/ garage sale / estate sale / thrift store believer. Both of my daughters have inherited this gene..my oldest just curbside shopped a beaten up coffee table which we will paint black for her living room.. Again good luck with your challenge. You'll do great. PS I love the broken glass countertops!!! They would be impervious to all of the life that a family can inflict on them.