Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where the wild things are, um, will be...

So the girls have already claimed  the basement... It is a full basement, as big as all the other floors of the house.

I figure since we will have the garage & the attic which is more storage than I have ever had renting, they are free to have it. There is a room off the diningroom which I plan to make the computer room / Taylor's playroom so I can attempt to keep all the toys in one area & the need for Taylor to climb the stairs to her room to a minimum.

I was told this is where they want to "hang out" with their friends, play school, dance & whatever it is they do to act goofy behind closed doors.

When I picked their brains about their dream hangout room I was given these suggestions:
- beanbag chairs
- couch or futon
- table
- chalk board paint, chalk board paint, CHALK BOARD PAINT
( I got it you really want that)
-cool paint color , like a bright blue, or hot pink or lime green...  (we'll see)
- cool area rug
- a cabinet or bookshelf for their play stuff
- a tv so they can keep the Wii down there
- and a ipod dock so they can listen to their music

Anything else ladies???? Nooo but we will let you know.

So the chalkboard paint was a given, they love to play school. Also I remember what me & my friends did to my walls in the basement when I was their age, so I figure its safer with chalk. Plus you can buy the magnetic kind so that hopefully distracts them from poking 20 thousand holes in the walls for posters.

I figure since its a basement & the walls are cynderblock I cant really paint the rest well, so to bring in the bright colors they want, I will use thin wires which I can bolt to the walls & buy inexpensive bright curtains, that I can run the wire through, that way they can be taken down once they are over this neon phase they seem to be into. Plus I can wash them once they are dirty... It will give it a cool lounge affect... I prob could even get the material cheaper & make them myself.. We'll see on that one.


As far as furniture... I know I want them to have a couch. I love Ikea for this kind of stuff, they always have a selection of things that are resonably priced & they always have funky patterns & colors. So here is what I was thinking as far as their seating will go.  It is really Hot pink though it is not showing up that way... I figured I would pair that with some peices I found at a thrift store & garage sales to make up for the table & storage they want.


As far as bringing in more of this desired color they desperately seek I will pop the room with area rugs & bright paintings.I was thinking a rug like this. I know its hideious, but it will all look cohesive once I put it all together.


I am just glad its in the basement. Not even my laundry room is down there so I have no reason to make myself blind on a regular basis.



2 comments:

Wenderina said...

I think all of that - bright colors and all sounds like something I would have loved as a child/teenager. Go for it - it's their space, and the more they love it, the more they'll keep their stuff out of your clean and organized and "tamer" space.

Becky said...

this sounds AWESOME! i wish you were my mom growing up and made my basement so funky and fun! one tip...its actually cheaper to buy curtains than make them...i learned this the hard way... unless of course you use bed sheets and not actual bolts of fabric...